To make the wordlists somewhat uniform for accented and other non-English
characters, the following table contains accented characters and their
desired "translations" into regular ASCII characters. (Note:
HTML entity codes may not be used when entering translations.)
This list contains accents for Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, French,
German, and Persian.
For Romance/Germanic languages (French, Spanish, German, Italian,
English, Portuguese, Latin, Romanian):
- To enter a letter with an acute accent (i.e. á):
- Type the letter, followed by the forward slash ("/") (i.e. "a/").
- To enter a letter with a grave accent (i.e. à):
- Type the letter, followed by the back slash ("\") (i.e. "a\").
- To enter an n-tilde (i.e. ñ) or other letter with a tilde above it (i.e. ã):
- Type the letter n followed by the tilde ("~") (i.e. "n~").
- To enter a letter with a circonflex (i.e. û):
- Type the letter, followed by a caret ("^") (i.e. "u^").
- To enter a cedille accent on a c (i.e. ç):
- Type the letter c followed by a comma (",") (i.e. "c,").
- To enter a letter with an umlaut (i.e. ü):
- Type the letter, followed by a period (".") (i.e. "u.").
- To enter a double-s character (i.e. ß):
- Type two "s" characters, (i.e. "ss").
- To enter a caron (a curved line over an "a" in Romanian):
- Type "a("
NetNative, maker of a
Persian font, has a
of Persian to English transliteration that I am told is quite commonly
used. Please use that table as a reference for entering Persian
translations - enter the corresponding English letter for the normal Persian
For other accented characters, please contact the IDP.